Skip to main content

Summer Crisis Program

Utility Assistance Programs

Summer Crisis Program

Program Overview


The Home Energy Assistance Summer Crisis Program provides a one-time benefit to eligible Hamilton County residents with cooling assistance during the summer months. For 2023, the program starts July 1.

The focus of the Summer Crisis Program (SCP) is to provide assistance to qualifying applicants with: electric utility bills (up to $500), a payment, or the purchase of an air conditioning unit and/or fan (if you have not received an air conditioner or fan within the last three years) or combination benefit. 

Who is eligible for the Summer Crisis Program?

  • Households with a household member who is either 60 years of age and older, has been diagnosed with COVID-19, or other chronic illness. (Must present verified documentation from your physician or registered nurse practitioner. Documentation must state: "Due to a chronic illness, this patient would benefit from continued electric service and/or air conditioning.")
  • Households who have a disconnect notice, have been shut off, or are trying to establish new electric service may be eligible for assistance.
  • PIPP PLUS customers are eligible for assistance towards their default PIPP payment, first PIPP payment, central air conditioning repairs. PIPP PLUS customers may receive an air conditioning unit and/or fan, if they are current with PIPP Plus installments.
  • Hamilton County residents with an annual household income at or below 175 percent of the 2022 federal poverty guidelines which is $48,562.50 for a family of four.


Size of Household Total Household Income 12 Months
1 up to $23,783
2 up to $32,043
3 up to $40,303
4 up to $48,563
5 up to $56,823
6 up to $65,083
7 up to $73,343
8 up to $81,603

*For households with more than eight members, add $8,260 for each individual.

How do I apply for the Summer Crisis Program?


Please take note of our adjusted hours: To receive an appointment between the hours of 1pm - 2:30pm EST, please contact our offices Monday - Thursday between the hours of 9am - 11am.

For Same Day Appointment:
Call (513) 685-4478, select option #2 or visit 

For 28 Day Appointment: 
Call (513) 685-4478, select option #1 or visit

For Senior Citizens (Ages 60+):
Call (513) 685-4478, select option #3  

You may also begin your application online at, but please note that you will need to set up an appointment with our HEAP department in order to complete your application.

Documentation needed to apply for services:

When you apply, you will need to complete the Energy Assistance Application (English or Spanish) and submit copies of the following documents:

  • Valid Picture ID for Applicant cannot be expired (Includes all individuals listed on utility bill and those applying on applicant’s behalf. Current notarized letter is also required for individuals’ applying on applicant’s behalf)
  • Current Duke Energy Utility Bill (actual bill only, no door hangers) 
  • Social Security Cards for all household members (must have the actual social security card) Additional documentation will be required for proof of U.S. Citizenship if missing actual social security cards.
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship for all household members‐ Birth Certificate, Baptismal records (must show place and date), U. S. Passport, Voter registration card, Military Service Record, Verified Citizenship for OWF Program, Indian Census Record.
  • Proof of Legal Resident/Qualified Alien‐ Naturalization Papers/ Certification of Citizenship, INS ID Card, Alien Registration Cards/ Re‐entry permits, Permanent Visa, INS Form.

  • Proof of Income for the entire household for the past 30 days for all income types, except Self-employment and Seasonal income. Self-employed and seasonal households most provide 12 months of documents.
  • Reporting Zero income: If another person or organization is financially supporting you, please provide a statement from income source detailing how your bills are paid (rent, food, utility etc.). Also, please specify any cash amount(s) and the frequency of assistance. Statement must include providers’ name, address and phone number. If applicable, you must provide a current Subsidized housing HAP Contract Cover Letter/ Annual Lease Addendum, Rental Lease and Food Stamp printout. Please know that further documentation may be requested, such as “Wage and Income Transcript for all household members for all household member over 18 years of age.

All documentation is required each time you apply for services. Failure to submit required documentation could delay processing times.

Update your browser to Chrome.


Examples of Accepted Income

Please note: The examples below are intended to represent typical income sources and are not inclusive of all income documentation that may be required. If you have questions regarding income documentation, please contact our HEAP customer care department prior to being seen for services.

  • Employment Wages: Last two (2) check stubs for monthly wages.  Last three (3) check stubs for bi-weekly wages. Last Five (5) check stubs for weekly wages or Employment Verification Form from employer showing GROSS income for the last 30 days
  • TANF, DA:  Current Award Letter
  • Utility Allowances: Subsidized Housing HAP Contract Cover Letter/ Annual Lease Addendum
  • Social Security, SSI & SSDI: Current Award Letter
  • Pension, Veterans, Retirement: Current Award Letter
  • Unemployment, Employment Disability, Workers Compensation, Child Support: Last pay stubs if paid monthly, (3) stubs if paid bi-weekly and (5) stubs if paid weekly or Award Letter showing benefit amount and time period
  • Self-employment- Self-employment form for the previous 12 months and most recent filed IRS 1040 and Schedules submitted to the IRS.
  • Seasonal Worker: Past 12 month’s income from the date of the application.