Skip to main content

Family Support

How can I make an appointment for an assessment?

To make an appointment for Supportive Services, please call 513.569.1840, option 4, from           8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays & Thursdays only.

For more information, please email or call 513.569.1840, ext.1047.

What if I don't have a Social Security card?
You may apply for a Social Security card online at, or by visiting the local Social Security office located at 10205 Reading Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45241.  (Please note: The Social Security office no longer issues a printout of your Social Security number.)

What other documents can I use to show my social security number?
You may use other documents issued by the Social Security Administration, and by the Department of Job and Family Services.

What if I don't have a current source of income?
In order to receive assistance with rental payments and/or water bills, you must have a current source of income.  This is to ensure that you will be able to maintain your payments once your emergency situation has been resolved.

What is considered income?
Income includes, but is not limited to the following: 

  • Wages/Tip
  • Unemployment Benefits
  • Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability (SSDI)
  • Child Support received
  • Ohio Works First (OWF cash benefits)
  • Pensions-Government/Veterans/Private Industry
  • Rental Income
  • Self-Employment
  • Utility Payment Assistance (issued by CMHA)

I'm moving soon. Can I get help with my deposit?
Assistance is not provided with rental deposits.  If determined eligible, you may receive assistance with a portion of the first month's rent.

Can I get assistance if I'm homeless?
Yes.  You will need to provide a homeless certificate, and documentation of the income that supports the rental amount.

I'm homeless with a roof. What documentation can I bring to show my situation?
You will need to provide a statement that includes the following:

  • The name of the person you are staying with
  • The address where you are currently staying
  • The date when you began residing at the current address
  • The date when you have to move out

What is a hardship?
A hardship is defined as something out of the ordinary that happened within the last 90 days (from the date of your initial application).  Examples can include, but are not limited to:

  • A decrease in income due to working less hours
  • Being off temporarily for illness
  • Paying a large amount on your utility bill
  • An unexpected vehicle repair

I just started a new job, and I need help with my rent/water. What do I need to do to get help?
You will need a completed employment verification form along with your first pay stub.  The employment verification form must include your start date, your hourly wage, and the number of hours you are expected to work each week.  In addition, you will still need a notice to leave the premises or court-ordered eviction notice for rental assistance, and a past due and current bill for water assistance.

What is a HAP contract?
A Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) contract is the Section 8 Certification Letter issued by the Cincinnati Metropolitan Housing Authority (CMHA) to individuals in the Housing Choice Voucher program. 

My rent isn't late yet. Can I still get assistance?
An assessment for current month rental assistance does not begin until the 15th of each month.  A notice to leave the premises or court-ordered eviction is required for rental assistance.

How much will you pay towards my rent/water?
The amount of assistance provided varies by each individual case.