January 21, 2016 - The Cincinnati-Hamilton County Community Action Agency (CAA) is ensuring that low-income workers receive the maximum refund amount from their 2015 tax return. CAA offers free tax preparation services to qualifying individuals, helping taxpayers avoid paying high fees to commercial tax preparers. Last year CAA helped over 1,200 taxpayers claim $2,089,546 in refunds. With more money in their pocket, working citizens were able to reinvest their refunds back into the local businesses, stimulating the economy.
The EITC is considered one of the largest and most effective anti-poverty programs in the country, providing a vital income boost that lifts millions out of poverty and into the middle class. This program gets money back into the struggling economy with most recipients spending the entire balance in the following weeks. The additional income helps families pay bills and meet basic needs that may not have been afforded without the annual refund.
To qualify for CAA’s tax preparation services, income must be less than:
• $47,747 ($53,267 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children
• $44,454 ($49,974 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children
• $39,131 ($44,651 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child
• $14,820 ($20,330 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
The service is available at CAA, located at 1740 Langdon Farm Road. Tax volunteers will prepare returns through the tax deadline on Monday, April 15, 2016, during the following hours:
• Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8:30 am – 3:00 pm Walk-ins
• Tuesday and Thursday 2:45 pm – 5:45 pm By appointment only
• Saturday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm By appointment only
To schedule an appointment, please call 513-569-1840 ext. 1031.
Because of the high demand for this service, CAA is always looking for additional volunteers to assist throughout the tax season. If you are interested in volunteering with the EITC program, please visit www.makeworkpay.com and click on Get Involved.