Home Energy Assistance Program

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a federally funded program designed to assist Hamilton County residents with their utility bills.

Appointment and Information Hotline:

CAA will now assist all Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) and Percentage of Income Payment Program (PIPP) customers by appointment only. Call 1-513-569-1850 for more information and to schedule an appointment.  If you are re-verifying or applying for PIPP for the first time, select Option #1 to schedule an appointment.  If you are in disconnect status, or have less than 25% bulk fuel, select option #2 for an emergency same-day appointment. The emergency same-day appointment line will take calls from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. Monday through Thursday.  Customers will be given an appointment to be seen that day between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Please note:  The emergency appointment line will only schedule 40 emergency appointments each day.  

If you are applying on an applicant's behalf, a notarized power of attorney statement must be presented at that time. 

Customers must bring the following items to their appointment: 
• proof of income (copies of pay stubs)
• copies of their most recent energy bills
• photo ID
• a list of all household members with Social Security numbers and birth dates
• proof of U.S. citizenship/legal residency for all household members
• all customers MUST have a printed copy of your Duke Energy bill in hand 

The Summer Crisis Cooling Program (July 1 - August 31) provides fans, air conditioners, and/or utility assistance for qualified applicants.

We provide home visits for applicants who are housebound and live alone. 

General info

Medical Eligibility Form

To be eligible, you must reside in Hamilton County and earn a household income at or below 175% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

Air conditioner, fan and utility assistance can not exceed a total of $175

Households that have received a fan or air conditioner in 2013, 2014 or 2015 are not eligible this year. 

Outreach sites will open in July. Check back for a list of sites. 

The Winter Crisis Program (November 1 - March 31) 

Hamilton County residents that can’t afford to pay the bill may be eligible for help through the HEAP Winter Crisis Program. From November to March CAA accepts applications for a one-time benefit. Income eligible individuals can receive up to $175 towards the households’ utility service.

Residents facing disconnection from their heating source, those who have already been disconnected, or those that have less than a 25 percent supply of bulk fuel left may qualify. The household must also have a gross income at or below 175 percent of the federal poverty level. For a family of four, the annual income must be at or below $42,525. 

The PIPP Plus Program helps eligible households maintain gas and electric services by paying a percentage of their household income. Individuals may apply at CAA or pick up an application at the agency or your local library and mail it to the Ohio Office of Community Services.

  • If the monthly PIPP Plus payments are made on-time and in-full, some of the customer's old debt and the rest of that month's bill will go away in the form of credits on their utility account. 
  • PIPP Plus makes monthly payments more affordable on a year-round basis.
  • Customers could be free of old utility debt at the end of two years.

For more information on PIPP Plus rules, download the flyer or visit the website of the Ohio Department of Development


To be eligible, families must reside in Hamilton County and earn a household income at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

If you live outside of Hamilton County, please visit your local Community Action Agency for more information on PIPP Plus.

Please note, as of September 2016 one of the following documents will be needed for Proof of U.S. Citizenship:
Birth Certificate/Hospital Birth Records
Baptismal Records (only when place and date of birth is shown)
Indian Census Record
Military Service Record
U.S. Passport
Verified Citizenship for OWF Program
Voter Registration Cards
Proof of Legal Resident/Qualified Alien is listed in the guidelines.
Customers needing assistance with obtaining a birth certificate may call 211 from their cell phone.